By the Gracious Vegan
It was a great day about a year after I turned vegan when I found the secret to pesto without Parmesan cheese. It’s miso. That subtle nutty, umami flavor was at last achieved! I will be forever grateful to the Candle Café Cookbook for this discovery. I tweaked their recipe over the years and now claim this as my own.
Place in a food processor and chop
- 2 garlic cloves
Add remaining ingredients and process until desired smoothness is achieved.
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- ¼ cup raw or roasted walnuts, raw or roasted pine nuts, or roasted cashews
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white or mild yellow miso
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Timing: About 20 minutes
Nutrition: Mostly whole-food