By the Gracious Vegan
Zucchini and curry play well together. This easy soup is thickened with beans and rice. No oil and whole-food ingredients mean this soup is super-healthy and low-calorie, though it doesn’t taste like it.
Makes: 6 servings
In a Dutch oven or other large pan, cook the following ingredients in water (start with 1/4 cup and keep adding as needed), until onion is soft and transparent and zucchini cubes are soft, 5-10 minutes.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 12 ounces zucchini, cubed (about 3/4”)
Add the following ingredients, bring the soup to a boil, then turn down, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 - 2 cups cooked white beans (any kind) or black-eyed peas (if using a can of beans, drain and rinse them)
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice (or 1 cup cooked brown rice)*
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Once the soup is cooked, use a hand (immersion) blender to puree soup in pan.
* Pre-cooked brown rice is available in the frozen section of some stores, like Trader Joe’s.
Timing: Hands-on time: 15 minutes; total time: 40 minutes
Nutritional information per serving: 152 calories, 1g fat, 0g sat. fat, 25g carbs, 820mg sodium, 4mg fiber, 11g protein