By the Gracious Vegan
This black bean burger has incredible texture and taste without any added oil, except a little spray-oil (which could be skipped, but it helps crisp the surfaces). The burgers are baked rather than pan-fried, which not only saves on oil but also eliminates time standing at the stove. Big thanks to Matt Frazier, the No Meat Athlete, for the starting point of this recipe, his Veggie Burger Formula. These freeze well, meaning great leftover meals!
Makes 10-12 burger patties
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two large sheet pans with parchment or foil. Spray with oil.
Sauté the following ingredients in a skillet with water (start with ¼ cup water) for 5-10 minutes, until the onions are transparent and soft and the pan is dry. (Do not microwave, because that results in too much moisture.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms (4 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and pulse with the following ingredients until nicely combined but still chunky.
- 1.5 cups black beans (equivalent to one can; drain and rinse if using canned)
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs (whole wheat crumbs work well)
- 1/2 cup well-chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon regular or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Form 3-4" patties (fairly thin) with your hands and lay them on the parchment paper. Spray the tops with spray-oil. Bake for 12 minutes, then flip them over and bake 8-10 minutes more or until firm with brown surfaces. Serve on English muffins or other bread.
- Whole wheat English muffins, toasted
Timing: Around 50-55 minutes
Nutrition: The ketchup, spray-oil, and vital wheat gluten keep this from being 100% whole-food unprocessed. Pretty close, though!
Nutritional information per serving (including bread/muffin):
242 calories, 5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 40g carbs, 652mg sodium, 6g fiber, 11g protein