By the Gracious Vegan
Hard to believe that you can have eggplant parmigiana with virtually no oil. No breading, no frying. Just broiling the eggplant slices releases their flavor, caramelizes them, and keeps the dish clean tasting. Vegan parmesan means you can also avoid heavy dairy. Light and delicious, this Parmigiana will please the eggplant lovers among us. This dish freezes well.
Makes 8 servings
Eggplant. Turn on broiler to high (500°). Line a baking sheet with foil, spray it with oil, and fit as many slices as you can in a single layer on the foil. Spray the top of the slices with a little oil. (They get tough and dry if you don’t use any oil.) Broil 3-4” from the element until the tops are brown to dark-brown, about 4-5 minutes. Then flip them and broil until the other sides are browned, about 3-4 minutes. Repeat for remaining slices. Set aside and change the oven to bake mode at 375°.
- 3 medium or 2 large eggplants, peeled or unpeeled, sliced crosswise into ½” rounds (for those who are a bit hesitant about eggplant, I recommend peeling them)
Sauce. In the meantime, water-sauté the aromatics in a Dutch oven or large skillet with ¼ cup water until onion is translucent, around 5 minutes.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
Add tomatoes and oregano, breaking up any whole tomatoes. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
Add and stir these in to finish the sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Use a 9” x 9” square or an oval (12” x 8” or so) baking dish. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan, then add a thin scattering of vegan parmesan.
- 2/3 cup vegan parmesan (store bought or Gracious Vegan Parmesan)
Then create a single layer of eggplant. Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with a little sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs (Italian or plain) mixed with ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Bake at 375°until the mixture is bubbly, at least 35 minutes and maybe more. Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Timing: hands-on time 45 minutes, total time 90 minutes
Nutrition: 100% whole food (except for sprays of oil on eggplant)
Nutritional information per serving:
156 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 25g carbs, 237mgsodium, 9mg fiber, 6gprotein
Gluten-free with gluten-free bread crumbs