By the Gracious Vegan
Baking enchiladas has its drawbacks—they can dry out, merge together, and the tortillas can get too saturated. These verde enchiladas are easy and quick—they’re folded rather than rolled and then go right onto the plates. They keep their shape, look fantastic, and taste divine.
Makes 6 servings
Start the vegan crema if you choose to use it (Gracious Vegan Crema).
Sauté these ingredients in a large skillet with a Tablespoon or two of water, stirring frequently, until the liquid released by the mushrooms is almost evaporated and vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced, grated, or finely chopped
- ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ pounds button mushrooms, sliced or chopped
Add spinach and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until spinach is reduced and soft.
- 16-20 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt
Drain mixture if there is excess liquid and cook a bit longer to make sure the mixture is dry. Then add the crema and stir it in. Set aside. Unless you have several large skillets, you may need to move the filling to a bowl and clean the large skillet for the final step.
- ¼ cup vegan crema, ¼ cup silken tofu (whisked in a bowl until smooth), vegan sour cream, cream cheese, or cashew cream
Heat 1.5 cups of the salsa in a small-medium skillet over low heat. Dredge both sides of each tortilla in the warm salsa using tongs, and stack the tortillas on a plate.
- Twelve 6” corn tortillas
- Two 16-ounce jars salsa verde (mild or hot)
Place a large skillet on low heat and pour 2/3 cup of salsa into it. Spoon a twelfth of the mushroom filling onto one side of the first tortilla. Fold it in half and place it at the edge of the skillet on low heat. Repeat for the remaining tortillas, arranging them in an overlapping row, and make sure they all heat up to serving temperature. Serve and top with
- Additional salsa (you may not need all of the salsa from the two jars)
- More crema (use a squeeze bottle for nice presentation), vegan sour cream, or vegan cheese
Timing: Hands-on time 35 minutes, total time 35 minutes
Nutrition: Whole-food unprocessed
Nutritional information per serving:
219 calories, 3g fat, 0g sat. fat, 35g carbs, 1088mg sodium, 10g fiber, 8g protein