By the Gracious Vegan
This scramble provides a hot meal bursting with flavors and nutrients. You can customize this in so many ways by choosing different vegetables, beans, and toppings. One recipe can last the whole work week.
Makes 5 servings
Water-sauté the following vegetables in a Dutch oven or large skillet until the onion is transparent. (Or microwave with a microwave-safe dish and cover for 3-5 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced/sliced vegetables of your choice (e.g., bell peppers, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms)
Add the tofu to the vegetables on the stove. (If you microwaved the vegetables, transfer them to a Dutch oven or large skillet.) Cook on medium, stirring occasionally, until any liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained and lightly pressed, then well crumbled
Add the spices and beans and stir until everything is completely incorporated and heated.
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
Serve with two tortillas per serving. Top with salsa, cilantro, and any optional toppings.
- 10 corn or flour tortillas
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- Optional: avocado chunks, diced onion, vegan crema
Timing: 20-25 minutes
Nutrition: whole-food unprocessed
Nutritional information per serving:
273 calories, 5.6g fat, 0g sat. fat, 43g carbs, 453mg sodium, 11g fiber, 15g protein