By the Gracious Vegan
I adapted this from The Plant Pure Kitchen, by Kim Campbell, with an inspiration (the ground almonds, capers, and caper brine) from Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. There is no sacrifice on this one. You don't say, "Wow, this doesn't taste anything like a version with oil." Now, if you miss the anchovies, I can't help you there, but the capers and caper brine give this a lot of flavor.
Makes just over 2 cups
Pulse in a blender until the mixture resembles parmesan cheese. Set aside
- 1/3 c. slivered or sliced blanched almonds
Blend in a blender for several minutes until smooth
- 2 Tablespoons raw cashews (pre-soaked by pouring boiling water over them, covering them, waiting 20 minutes, then draining--not needed if you have a high-speed blender like a VitaMix)
- 4 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1/3 cup water
- Add these and pulse until blended
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons caper brine
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or more to taste)
Then add these and pulse to break them up but not completely pulverize them.
- 1 Tablespoon capers
Mix in the almonds by hand and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. It will need some time (at least an hour) to firm up.
Timing: About 25 minutes, including the pre-soak
Nutrition: Whole-food unprocessed