By the Gracious Vegan
I adapted this from a paragraph in Dr. Michael Greger's recent book How Not to Die. He was describing one way he gets his daily turmeric. He gave a vague description of what he does--a "handful" of this and a "pinch" of that. I experimented with various measurements and came out with this glorious smoothie. It includes many of the nutrients Dr. Greger recommends, based on his reading of the best nutritional research: turmeric, cinnamon, amla powder, ground flax seed, cranberries, and soy. It's filling and delicious, too!
Makes 1 large (24 oz.) or 2 small smoothies. This smoothie is thick -- you can thin with water or more non-dairy milk. Without the sweetener calories, and using unsweetened almond milk, this is only a total of 140 calories!
Blend the ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon amla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup frozen cranberries
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup date sugar (or you can use pitted dates, date pieces, or other sweetener--I know everyone has strong opinions on sweeteners)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1.5 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy milk, although Dr. Greger advocates for the soy-turmeric combination)
Timing: About 15 minutes
Nutrition: Whole-food unprocessed (depending on the sweetener you choose)