By the Gracious Vegan
GV comments: This salad is lovely to look at and then to eat. The title may make it sound too spicy for your crowd, but don't worry. My reluctant-vegan husband loved it on first bite. We paired it with the Coconut Curry Lentil Soup and went to nirvana!
Makes a lot (9-10 cups)
Place these in a large bowl.
- 1.5 cup couscous (whole wheat if you can find it) (available at Trader Joe's)
- ½ cup raisins (golden or black)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
Pour in 2 cups of boiling water, stir quickly, then tightly cover with foil or a large plate. Let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Cover again and let sit 5 more minutes. Fluff again.
Then stir the following ingredients into the couscous mixture.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted nuts (cashews, pecans, pistachios, etc.)
- 1/3 cup slivered or chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (2-3 limes, depending on size)
- 1/4 cup water (or olive oil if you want a richer salad)
- 2-3 Tablespoons (packed) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Freshly ground pepper
Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to a day ahead. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Timing: Under 30 minutes
Nutrition: Whole-food unprocessed