By the Gracious Vegan
I made this up when I took a homemade lunch every day to my corporate job. I needed a lot of fuel to get through the afternoon, so when I made salads, they needed to have a lot of substance. You can substitute, add, and delete the salad components as you wish.
There should be enough dressing for 4-5 large salads, lightly dressed.
Creamy lime-cumin dressing: briefly blend these together with an immersion (hand-held) blender in a slender container (preferably the one that came with the blender).
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
With the blender going at low speed, trickle in the oil, and a thick dressing will form.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Toss with salad components
- Lettuce for 4-5 salad servings
- Chopped onion to taste
- “Carolina Saffron Yellow Rice Mix” prepared as directed (I buy the small foil packet, and that is enough for 4-5 servings); there are other brands (like Mahatma), but some brands (like Vigo) contain dehydrated chicken
- Pinto or black beans beans (1 can, rinsed and drained)
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped tomatoes
- If available, avocado and/or jicama
Timing: 30-60 minutes
Nutrition: About equal processed/unprocessed