Greens are healthy, versatile, gorgeous, and readily available. I recently found out some things about greens’ amazing nutritional benefits:
- Greens are the best source of lutein and zeaxanthin, the antioxidants that may help prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Greens are the best source of plant-based nitrates, which may play a role in the prevention of heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Consumption of greens and cruciferous vegetables appears be linked to lower rates of cognitive decline.
- Greens provide antioxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- As an added bonus, intake of greens is associated with reduced facial wrinkling. For more information on this discovery, see a summary of the study.
Here are some of my favorite recipes featuring greens.
- Broccoli Rabe or Mustard Greens Stir-Fry
- Creamy Chard and Mushroom Folded Enchiladas
- Gracious Vegan Kale Pesto
- Pasta with Kale Pesto and Zucchini (or Potatoes)
- Sicilian Swiss Chard over Quinoa
- Smothered Cheese Grits and Steamed Greens