By the Gracious Vegan
I saw a recipe in The Washington Post for a meaty "Tex Mex Frito Slab Pie." It had me at Fritos... I though it could be veganized easily, and I was right. My husband and I found this fun and filling. It also freezes surprisingly well.
Makes 8-12 servings
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray.
Pour the corn muffin batter in the bottom of the pan and use a spatula to spread it evenly into the corners.
- One recipe of the batter for corn muffins, found with the above Meaty Beany Chili recipe, but use only two Tablespoons of sugar instead of 1/3 cup.
Scatter the chili filling evenly across the muffin batter.
- One recipe of vegan chili (cooled a bit). My favorite is Meaty Beany Chili by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
Sprinkle vegan cheese on top of the chili, if desired
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar or jalapeno cheese
Sprinkle Fritos on top of the cheese.
- Half of a 9.5-ounce bag of regular Fritos (crushed a bit, or more if you want them more crushed)
Bake on a middle rack for 22 minutes. The corn bread should be pulling away from the corners of the pan, and the Fritos should be golden brown.
Garnish, if desired, with
- Chopped cilantro, avocado slices, jalapeno slices, vegan Mexican crema, hot sauce