By The Gracious Vegan
This recipe is based on Jeanne Lemlin’s Quick Vegetarian Pleasures, an excellent vegetarian cookbook; some of the recipes are vegan, including this one. I like the way the California olives cut into the sharpness of the Greek olives--I've found that this mildness makes the spread more appealing to non-hard-core Greek olive lovers. You have to meet them where they are.... :-) Makes about 2 cups.
Use a food processor to mince the garlic
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
Add remaining ingredients and process until nearly smooth (or to your desired texture).
- 1 cup (4 ounces) pitted black Greek olives
- 1 cup (6 ounces) pitted California black olives
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Scrape mixture into a container. Let sit 20 minutes before using. It's great for sandwiches and as an appetizer with bread slices. It's also a wonderful "sauce" for pizza -- add some artichoke hearts (or other topping) and vegan cheese, and voila! Refrigerate any leftovers.