I adapted this, with many failures along the way, from an egg-based recipe I had from years back. The tofu-based quiche filling is the key--who knew hummus would be the secret ingredient that makes it all work? My version is a mash-up of recipes from the Minimalist Baker and Fat Free Vegan, both exceptional sites. The casserole, with its top layer of sizzling browned tater tots, is a "wow" dish best served right out of the oven, but it might also work in certain potluck situations where you can reheat it in an oven so the tater tots are crisp. I enjoy the leftovers warmed up in the microwave, but I eat them with the memory of crisp potatoes.
Preheat oven to 350⁰.
Sauté in medium skillet (alternatively, microwave them for 4 or more minutes until soft without oil)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 8-10 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small/medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced (or a combination of red and green)
In the skillet or a large bowl, stir the above together with
- 3 cups steamed vegetables (one or combination of broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, cabbage or other to your liking)
- 1 c. (1 oz.) grated vegan cheese (optional)
Spread this mixture evenly in a bottom of a greased 9x13 inch glass pan.
Combine the following ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, then pour onto the vegetable mixture and smooth out the top, making sure the tofu mixture fills in the gaps among the vegetables.
- Two 12.3 ounce packages extra firm or firm silken tofu, patted dry (use the kind in the vacuum pack, not the fresh packs)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot or potato starch)
- 6 Tablespoons hummus
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon namala black salt if you have it, or regular salt
Put tater tots on top. Spread them out in one layer
- 2 lbs. tater tots (put in refrigerator the night before)
Bake in preheated 350⁰ oven for 50 minutes or more. (If the mixture is close to the top of the pan, put a large rimmed baking sheet underneath.) Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.