By the Gracious Vegan
Serves 4 generously
The sauce for this dish is adapted from The Candle Café Cookbook, a cookbook I highly recommend. You can double the sauce to use it the next week—it keeps well.
Combine all the stir-fry sauce ingredients in a jar or bowl—or use an immersion blender to get everything really well blended.
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/4 cup mellow white miso
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 Tablespoons regular or tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Small pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Cook up the rice according to package instructions
- Brown rice (or white or Jasmine)
About 10 minutes before serving
Work with two non-stick skillets.
In the smaller skillet (at least 10”), heat up
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, at least 4 minutes, probably more.
- 14-16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu, drained, then pressed (see here: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/presstofu1.htm), then cut into irregular triangles and other shape, no more than 1/2” thick and 1” on any side.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in the large non-stick skillet (over 12”) or a Dutch oven if you don’t have a large skillet.
- 1 tbsp peanut or canola oil
Cook these in oil until soft
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Add 8 cups of vegetables and cook until desired firmness
- Something green, sliced or diced as appropriate
- Asparagus, blanched green beans, green bell pepper, broccoli, snow peas, snap peas, baby bok choy, or zucchini
- Something red/purple, sliced or diced as appropriate
- Red bell pepper, red cabbage, or eggplant
- Something yellow/orange, sliced or diced as appropriate
- Yellow zucchini, yellow bell pepper, or carrots
- Something white, sliced or diced as appropriate
- Bean sprouts, mushrooms, or water chestnuts
Then add tofu and sauce—don’t add all the sauce at once. Start with 1/2 cup and add from there. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Cooked brown or white rice